Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentine Topiary



Have you ever started on a project with one thing in mind and ended up with something totally different when you were done?  Well this little topiary of mine started out as a decorative ball.  I was going to make a bunch of them and put them in a vase, but then the idea of a topiary came to mind.  So here it is:







I used the cricut cartridge "Straight from the nest" to create the flowers.  If you don't have that cricut cartridge, you could use a flower punch.



To create this topiary:
Styrofoam ball, wooden rod, cotton, tulle, flower pot, white pearl headed pins, flower pot foam

1. Paint your styrofoam ball the same color you plan to make your flowers
2. Punch out all the flowers or use Cricut Cartridge Straight from the Nest flower at 1.0 in.
3. Use pins and poke holes in the flowers
4. Once the paint is dry put flowers and pins in the styrofoam ball
5.Paint rod and flower pot to desired color.
6. Cut rod to height preference
7. Stick rod into styrofoam ball, make sure to hot glue rod and then stick it in
8. Place rod into potting foam (sorry I know it's not the technical term, but the floral foam you use for fake flowers..it's green...) and place it into pot.
9. Place cotton on top of flower foam....I actually used polyfil because that is what I had on hand.
10. Cover with tulle. I hot glued the tulle around the pot.
11. Enjoy!


***This just in......this project was featured on Lil Luna, Decorate to Celebrate, and My Craft Spot!***


Happy Crafting Everyone,

Smiles, 

Jill

Linking up to

21 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I love the pearl head pins as middles! It's so pretty. Thank you for sharing this with us at Paper Issues!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute. I think my girls would love to try this art project, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool topiary! I love it! Thanks for linking it up at Paper Issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! Caught my eye over at Paper Issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Jill!! I love the beautiful flowers and the topiary is such a fabulous idea!! Thanks so much for playing along at Decorate to Celebrate!

    Lisa
    Decorate to Celebrate DTM
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. antoher beautiful project thank you so much for sharing with us at decorate to celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful topiary,so pretty.
    Thanks for joining us at My Craft Spot this week.
    Jayne x

    www.jayne-designs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for stopping by and visiting me! SMiles, Jill

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, this is so pretty! Thanks for playing along with us at Decorate to Celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Topiary. Very creative and perfect in every way. This could easily be used in home dec and for Party centerpieces. I could even see other various objects cut such as animals, hearts, paper dolls, etc. Great job!

    Dee B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the versatility is great, right?! I'm so happy with the way it turned out! I'm going to be making more of them for a centerpiece for a baby shower we're throwing! Stay tuned, more decor to come!

      Delete
  10. This is so pretty! I'm so glad your project turned into a topiary as it looks just perfect like this!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill:) SUper cute project and a fabulous home decor. Thank you for joining us over at Decorate to Celebrate!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE making topiaries!! Yours is FABULOUS -- SO sweet and PERFECT for decorating!! :)

    Thanks so much for decorating your Valentine celebrations at the Decorate To Celebrate! Challenge Blog!

    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
    and Decorate To Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your topiary turned out so pretty! Thanks for entering your project in this weeks challenge at My Craft Spot. :)

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your win at Decorate to Celebrate. I hope you will join us again for our new challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your win at Decorate to Celebrate. I hope you will join us again for our new challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

These comments make my day! Thank you for taking the time!
Smiles,
Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...